This posting has expired and is no longer available.
Location: Southern Colorado Center - Colorado Springs
Department: CAGS Student Success
Job Type: Full time
- Committed follower of Jesus Christ, who believes there is no salvation apart from faith in his atonement on the cross, by grace alone becoming 'born again' thus beginning a personal relationship with Christ, the Son of God.
- Able to effectively communicate personal faith and apply biblical principles and convictions in the workplace. Must have a strong sense of calling to the ministry of Colorado Christian University.
- Regularly attend and be engaged in meaningful involvement in a Bible-believing evangelical local church. Knowledgeable about the Word of God and passionate about Christian education.
- Must be a traditional evangelical Christian whose lifestyle is in consonance with sound Christian principles, is compatible with CCU's Statement of Faith, and is in agreement with the Strategic Objectives promulgated by the University.
The Student Service Advisor (SSA) is a full-time, exempt position reporting to the Director of Retention for the College of Adult and Graduate Studies (CAGS). The SSA guides and assists CAGS students towards successful degree completion and attainment of educational goals. This position is a key component in the retention and persistence of students.
This position assists CAGS students who complete their courses both in-seat and online. This requires high levels of accurate and concise face-to-face, phone, and email communication.
A polished, professional demeanor and appearance are required. Hours may vary depending on student need and may include evenings and weekends.
Duties and Responsibilities
An SSA's week typically consists of the following:
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- 55% Answers student questions via phone and email and documents details in student's record. Sample topics include: course registration, financial aid, academic progress, transfer credits, life/school balance, available student resources, faculty concerns, and other student needs
- 25-30% Initiates outbound calls to students to assess early intervention needs, build advisor/advisee relationships, ascertain obstacles to course completion or block registration, and proactively and persuasively challenge students to successful continuation and academic excellence
- 5-10% Analyzes, organizes, and updates reports, spreadsheets, and templates for effective time management, accurate data integrity, efficient student communication, and trending student retention
- 5% Partners strategically with other departments to facilitate and process time-sensitive student requests
- 5% Prepares and plans for future blocks/semesters; collaborates with colleagues on special projects; attends team meetings and training webinars/conference calls
A successful SSA exhibits the following required characteristics:
- High technology proficiency; fluency in Microsoft Excel and Outlook
- Comfortable with a high level of inbound/outbound calls; proven ability to articulate clearly and persuasively yet professionally with students
- Interprets and analyzes student data in order to proactively contact students and to achieve monthly retention goals
- Displays self-confidence, patience, empathy, and availability when building rapport with students; understands and adapts quickly to multi-generational needs and characteristics
- Creative, out-of-the box thinker who takes initiative to find solutions while clarifying and enforcing CCU's expectations and policies
- Flexible, adaptive to change, teachable; actively locates appropriate resources to assist with unfamiliar situations, is comfortable asking questions, and recognizes and learns from mistakes
- Maintains cohesive working relationships, views conflict positively, and operates with honesty and respect in all communication
- Maintains focus amidst unexpected distractions, and manages disruptions with professionalism
A successful SSA has the following preferred experiences:
Nature of Work Environment
- Previous advising, student service, higher education, public relations, customer service, or similar experiences
- Bachelor's degree
While performing the duties of this job, you may be required to walk; stand; sit; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; speak with clarity, have appropriate vision and hearing capabilities. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
Colorado Christian University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status. CCU does reserve the right to exercise preference on the basis of religion in all of its employment practices. All employees who work at CCU must demonstrate a spiritual testimony consistent with our evangelical mission and follow our lifestyle expectations.